Who loves the smell of bonfires?
Everyone has their favorite scent… the kind of smell that can stop you in your tracks and trigger amazing memories from years’ past? For me that smell has to be the smell of a bonfire which reminds me of gathering around the fire on a chilly night with friends and family. I knew there was a way to replicate my favorite smell in cocktail form. How about a…. Smokey Bonfire Cocktail!
At our recent tour of Tenth Ward Distilling Company in Downtown Frederick, MD; I tasted an awesome corn whiskey that had a smoky taste. (recap of our tour here) I knew right off the bat that this was perfect for my smoky inspired creation. I searched around the internet for some inspiration and found this recipe which was reading my mind. I tweaked it a bit and added some honey, smoky paprika and grated peppercorns and it turned out amazing with the corn whiskey. I cannot wait for our next bonfire so I can a serve these to my friends.
Check out the recipe below:
- 6 oz of your favorite whiskey- if you are in the Frederick area I highly recommend grabbing a bottle of the smoked corn whiskey!
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup (get the good stuff)
- 1 Tbsp natural honey
- 2 sprigs of rosemary
- 1cup water
- paprika peppercorn ice cubes (fill up an ice tray full of water and sprinkle the paprika and peppercorn on top before freezing)
- 2 mason jars with lids!
- In a shaker- add the whiskey, honey, maple syrup and lemon juice and ice cubes
- Pour half in each mason jar
- Grab a rosemary sprig and light the end with a match. (This works best when the rosemary is semi dried)
- Place the lit rosemary, ember side up, in the jar and quickly close the lid.
- Let sit for a minute.
- Open, remove sprig and add 1/2 cup of water to each jar.
- Stir gently
- Add back spring and wedge of lemon as garnish