This past weekend finally felt like fall. The weather was cool enough in the evening to break out the cozy sweaters and light a bonfire (see the reveal here). Chillier weather means heartier and flavorful meals and this Cheesy Sweet Potato Sausage Bake is both and perfect for fall! Like many of my recipes, it is extremely easy to make and only has a few steps and a limited number of ingredients. I just love the spiciness of the sausage paired with the sweetness of the sweet potatoes. Add ooey gooey Gruyere cheese and what is not to love!? I followed this recipe from Drool Worthy Daily almost to a T and loved the results. This is best served immediately- but is also delicious as leftovers in lunches. Check out the recipe below!
- 2 tablespooks olive oil
- 1 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 links of Italian Sausage
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1cup shredded sharp Gruyere cheese
- 2 cups finely chopped kale
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Toss your sweet potatoes in olive oil, sales and pepper. Arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet. Place sausage on another baking sheet. Bake the sausage for 15-20 minutes, turning links once. Bake the sweet potato for 30 minutes or until cooked through.
- Once cooled, slice sausage links into 1/2-inch disks. Add sausage, sweet potato and kale to a 9x12 casserole dish.
- Next, bring the broth and milk to a low boil in a small saucepan. Reduce heat to a simmer. Whisk the flour in a little at a time into the saucepan until thick. Add the cheese and stir until melted.
- Pour the sauce over the sweet potatoes, kale, and sausage in the baking dish.
- Bake at 350F for 25 minutes or until the sauce is bubbly and the cheese is melted.