(shop items in this post below)
Girls love brunch; so when my college roomies; Allie, Andrea and Ashley, came in for a visit I knew throwing a colorful and delicious brunch would be a perfect way for us to catch up. I wanted to keep the table-scape simple, but still make it feel like a special occasion. I decided to use my everyday place settings from Anthropologie that have a lot of blues and purples in the pattern. A light blue table runner, matching linen napkins and purple water glasses (all from Relish Decor) matched perfectly.
Its not brunch without mimosas; so naturally we had to have a mimosa bar! I had the traditional OJ, cranberry & grapefruit juice along with some raspberries for garnish on my favorite bar cart.
I grabbed some purple tulips for the table and red/yellow multi colored tulips for the mimosa bar from my local grocery store for a finishing touch.
As far as the menu goes, I wanted to cover all the bases- Sweet, Savory and Healthy. For healthy I went with a Winter Fruit Salad. (which I shared with you guys here) For Savory I baked a crustless Caprese quiche following this recipe fairly closely (but threw in some extra veggies and sliced fresh mozzarella on top!) Sweet was the main entree- a Butter Pecan Waffle with Spice Bourbon Whipped Cream which was amazing! (recipe below)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1 tbsp packed light brown sugar
- 3 tbsp butter
- ¼ cup roughly chopped toasted pecans
- 1 cup cold heavy cream
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tsp bourbon
- dash of cinnamon and nutmeg
- In a blender, beat the eggs, milk, vanilla and oil until frothy.
- In a large bowl, stir all of the dry ingredients together until well mixed. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, pour the wet mixture into the well, then stir just until the mix is moistened. Avoid over-mixing. Gently fold in the chopped pecans.
- Spray your waffle iron with nonstick spray, and spoon batter onto a hot waffle maker and cook until golden brown.
- Serve with a pat of butter, the butter pecan maple syrup and the spiced bourbon whipped cream.
- In a small saucepan over medium high heat, bring all ingredients, except the pecans, to a steady simmer then reduce the heat to medium low and allow to cook an additional 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the toasted pecans at the end. Remove from heat and serve on top of your waffles.
- In a stand mixer, or with an electric hand-mixer, combine the heavy cream, sugar, vanilla, and bourbon in a bowl except the cinnamon and nutmeg and whip until soft peaks form, about 3 to 5 minutes. Don't over-mix or it'll turn into butter.
- Once it's ready, sprinkle a tiny bit of cinnamon and nutmeg and stir by hand to incorporate. Serve on top of your waffles.
- This can be made a day or two in advance.