As I mentioned here, we threw our own Oktoberfest a few weekends ago. I whipped up a bunch of yummy sides but the main event was bratwurst sliders with beer braised onions & beer cheese on homemade pretzel rolls. They. Were. Amazing! I followed this recipe for the homemade pretzel rolls and this recipe for the sandwich contents. These suckers are so good you will want to make them year round.
For the Pretzel Rolls
3 3/4 C flour, additional for dusting
1 1/2 C warm water
1 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
2 tsp salt
2 tbl unsalted butter, softened
1/2 C baking soda
1 egg, beaten
Sea Salt for topping
1. In a stand mixer with the dough hook attached, combine the bread flour, warm water, yeast, 2 teaspoons of salt and butter. Combine all the ingredients until well combined about 5 minutes. The put dough onto a floured surface. Let sit for 5 minutes.
2. Cut the dough into 16 equal pieces and form into balls. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and put 8 dough balls on each sheet. Set the baking sheets in a warm place and let dough rise for one hour. Transfer the baking sheets to the fridge and leave inside for at least 2 hours or until you’re ready to move on to the next step.
3. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
4. Fill a large pot halfway with water and bring to a boil. Add the baking soda to the water and put four dough balls at a time into the water. Boil for 30 seconds, flip the balls over and boil for another 30 seconds. Take out the balls and put back onto the baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining balls.
5. Beat the egg in a bowl. Using a pastry brush, brush some of the beaten egg on top of each roll
6. Next, cut an “X” in the top of every roll, using a knife and sprinkle on additional sea salt.
7. Put the sheet into the oven and bake for 17-20 minutes. Let the rolls cool completely before removing from the baking sheet.
For the Beer Braised Onions
1 tbl butter
1 large onion, sliced thin
1 can/bottle of beer (your choice)
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 garlic, minced
salt & pepper to taste
1. Add onions and butter to pan
2. sautee the onions until they are soft & translucent
3. Add rest of ingredients, stir, cover and cook on medium until most of the liquid has been evaporated
For the Beer Cheese
In a fondue pot (or over the stove in small pot)
10 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (I also added some colby jack)
1/4 lb of Gruyere cheese, shredded
1 1/2 tsp flour
1 cup beer (your choice)
1 Tbl spicy brown mustard
*hint use the leftovers as cheese dip for homemade pretzels (recipe coming soon!)
6 pieces of cooked bratwursts, cut length wise (hotdog style) and then down the middle to create 4 sections per brat.
Cook until outside is crispy
Assemble Sandwich with a swipe of spicy brown mustard, then 2 brat sections, topped with onions and a drizzle of cheese.
Enjoy them while they last!